Tortellini Soup is easily my favorite recipe. It is filling, easy to make and the ingredients are easy to keep on hand for a meal that’s perfect for cold weather or to feed a big crowd. I like the fact that I can use all fresh ingredients or have everything easily ready to make with canned and frozen ingredients.
- 3 c. water
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 1 16-oz bag chopped frozen spinach
- 1-2 can diced tomatoes (use 2 for larger crowds or for families who love tomatoes)
- 1-2 white or yellow onions (use 2 for larger crowds or for families who love onions)
- 3 Tbs minced garlic
- 2 Tbs oil we prefer coconut oil, but olive, vegetable or canola oil will work as well
- salt to taste
- 1 can tomato sauce (optional)
- parmesan or mozzarella cheese for serving
- Combine all ingredients except tortellinis and bring to a boil. For a fuller flavor, one can of tomato sauce may be used to replace an equal measurement of water.
- Add tortellinis and cook according to package's instructions.
- Top with your choice of cheese, if desired, serve and enjoy!
A few notes
You can add meat to this soup to make it a little more hearty. We have added ground beef or shredded chicken and loved both.
It tastes amazing using fresh or canned ingredients! We usually add more garlic, but we like our food very garlic heavy.
Adding in a little bit of chopped corn or celery are also a great way to make this soup taste different and have a little more bulk.