So, earlier this week I had my realization that I needed to do more freezer cooking and general nesting to prepare for baby, so I grabbed some easy meals to throw in the freezer that are easy to heat and eat. One of the recipes was one I’d had in my head to try for a while, Red Bean Taco Soup.
I didn’t take a ton of pictures because the steps are so ridiculously easy. Basically, brown the meat and combine everything else in a freezer bag. It’s easy and healthy, plus it’s cheap but tastes kind of like a party in your mouth.
- 2.5 lbs ground beef
- 2.5 lbs ground turkey
- beef bullion (we preferBetter than Bullion) This may be omitted if you opt for all beef instead of ground turkey.
- 5 onions
- 5 c diced tomatoes
- 5 c tomato sauce
- 5 c corn canned or frozen
- 10 c cooked red beans (you can use canned beans if you like)
- 1/4 c taco seasoning
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- cheddar cheese for serving day
- sour cream for serving day
- Brown your ground beef and turkey together with taco seasonings, salt and pepper. Drain meat and allow to cool completely before adding to the bag.
- Add the beans and browned meat to your labeled freezer bag.
- Divide the other ingredients evenly among your freezer bags, then seal them and stack them in the freezer.
- On serving day, add to the crock pot on high 4-6 hours or for low 6-8 hours. We also make ours on the stove, cooking it on medium heat for about 30 minutes with a lid on, until the onions are cooked.